Applying For A UK Spouse Visa?

We have years of experience successfully helping clients with UK Spouse Visas

Applying for UK Spouse Visa / UK Partner / UK Civil Partner/ UK Unmarried Partner/ Uk Same Sex/ UK Fiancé(e) and UK Proposed Civil Partner visas

You can apply for Spouse Visa UK if you are in a relationship with British National or person settled in the UK. A UK Spouse visa allows a husband or wife (that are non-European Union (EU) citizens) of a British national or someone who holds an Indefinite Leave to Remain visa (i.e. they are a Permanent Resident or settled) to live with their partner in the UK. Please note that there are a few different categories of UK Partner visas depending on your relationship circumstances (married or un-married, same-sex or heterosexual relationships etc.) so please read our detailed explanation of each category of visa below.

Request a Call Back


What Are The Main UK Partner Visa Categories?

The six “relationship” based visas you could possibly apply for to either get married/register a Civil Partnership in the UK or live with your partner who is a British national (or holding an ILR visa) are as follows:

UK Spouse visa

This visa is to allow a heterosexual married couple to live together in the UK if a British national or settled person is married to a non-EU national. You can find a detailed explanation of this type of visa stated at the top of this page

Fiancé visa UK

This visa is to allow a non-EU citizen to come to the UK to marry their heterosexual partner in the UK (as long as they are British or on an ILR visa). This visa is valid for 6 months only and only permits you to get married in the UK and you are not allowed to work. As soon as you are married in the UK, you will need to make an application (in the UK) to switch your visa to a Spouse visa. Once on a Spouse visa, you will be able to live and work in the UK as we have explained above.

Proposed Civil Partner visa UK

This visa category is exactly the same as a Fiancé(e) visa except it is for homosexual couples to register a Civil Partnership in the UK. The visa is valid for 6 months and this visa does not allow you to work in the UK. As soon as you have registered your Civil Partnership in the UK, you will need to apply to the UK Home Office to switch your visa to a Civil Partner visa. This visa will enable you to live and work in the UK and is exactly the same as Spouse visa except for a different name (due to the distinction in UK law between marriage and Civil Partnership).

UK Civil Partner visa

Put simply this is a Spouse visa for homosexual couples that have registered a Civil Partnership. The rules, visa validity, entitlements, the path to Indefinite Leave to Remain and British Citizenship are exactly the same as those for a Spouse visa; the only difference is in the name

UK Unmarried Partner (UMP) visa 

Under UK law, if a couple have been living at the same residence in a relationship akin to marriage for at least 2 years they are considered to be unmarried partners. In other words, the UK government will treat you as a married couple even though you are not married. This visa is for heterosexual couples where one party is a British national (or settled in the UK on an ILR visa for example) and the other party is a non-EU national. Once again, the rules, visa validity, entitlements, the path to Indefinite Leave to Remain and British Citizenship are exactly the same as a Spouse visa; the only difference is in the name to reflect the fact you are not legally married.

UK Same-Sex visa 

This visa is exactly the same as an Unmarried Partner visa but for homosexual couples that have been living together at the same residence in a relationship akin to a Civil Partnership for at least 2 years. Like the Civil Partner and UMP visa, it is exactly the same as UK Spouse visa with the same rules and path to British Citizenship. The only difference is in the name due to you not having registered a Civil Partnership.


How Long Do UK Partner visas Last?

UK Spouse Visa / UK Civil Partner/ UK Unmarried Partner / Same-Sex visas

The initial visa is issued for 2.5 years and you will be able to extend your visa for another 2.5 years after which you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) once your 5 years is competed. If you are applying for your visa from outside the UK (overseas), your initial visa will be issued for 33 months which gives you an extra three months to move to the UK. Please note that you MUST move to the UK within 3 months of the date the visa is issued otherwise you may have to apply for a second visa extension to secure ILR and you will waste thousands of pounds!

We are pleased to confirm that the visa itself allows you to work, start your own business or be self-employed if you wish. You can also enter the UK multiple times during the duration of the visa without any restrictions.

Fiancé(e)/Proposed Civil Partner visas

you will be issued with a 6 month visa in order for you to travel to the UK solely for the purpose of getting married. You can only apply for this visa from outside the UK and you have no right to work in the UK while you are on this visa. You are meant to arrive in the UK, have your wedding and immediately make an application within the UK to the Home Office (UKVI) to switch onto a Spouse or Civil Partner visa.

To qualify for a UK Partner / UK Spouse visa you need to meet the following requirements:

What Requirements Are Needed To Qualify For A UK Partner Visas?

1) Be a partner of a British national or person settled in the United Kingdom (or they must be on an Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) visa or have Permanent Residence status)2) You must be at least 18 years of age or over

3) your relationship must be genuine and recognised in the UK (e.g. your marriage is legal in your own country and registered with the civil authorities) if applying for a Spouse or Civil Partner visa

4) you must intend to live in the UK with your partner

5) you and your partner must be able to demonstrate that you will have an adequate place to live in the UK

6) you and your partner must be able to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to support yourself

7) you must have a good knowledge of English if you are 18 years of age or over unless you’re applying as an adult dependent relative

8) You must meet the financial requirements set out in Appendix FM Section 1.7 (£18,600 per year if you’re applying only for yourself or £22,400 per year for you and one child or 2,400 per year for each additional child)

There are some exemptions to the financial requirements. If your sponsor is in receipt of any of the below then you are not required to meet the financial

  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment

9) If you apply for Fiancé visa or Proposed Civil Partner visa you need to get married in the UK within 6 months of the visa being issued.

If you are already in the UK on Partner or Fiancé visa you can apply to extend you leave. The application is made to the UKVI by post or using same day service. The postal service takes at the moment around 3 – 6 months. You need to enrol your biometric information as a part of the process. If you are applying overseas and your application is successful your passport/travel document will contain a 30 day visa to allow travel to the UK. You will also be sent a BRP Decision Letter with instructions on collecting your BRP after your arrival in the UK. You must collect your BRP within 10 working days of arriving in the UK.

As these visa types are the most difficult to secure, why take a risk with your government fees and the processing time when we can guarantee your visa approval first time?

When considering all the visa application types we have secured worldwide since 2007, the current format of the UK Partner visas are by far the most difficult to secure an approval for. The sheer amount of documents required to guarantee an approval combined with the unnecessarily complicated immigration rules and policy guidance means that unless you are submitting applications daily, it is virtually impossible to know exactly what to do to ensure success. That is where we come in. We have secured over 1000 UK Partner visas world-wide since 2007 and are yet to receive a visa refusal. How do we do this? Well imagine if you knew all the immigration rules, the entire policy guidance and every reason ever given for refusing a UK Partner visa? You would be able to submit every document required and make every legal argument necessary to guarantee your own visa approval. Well here at First Migration, we are able to do this and having being doing this since 2007 hence we have only secured approvals. Should you wish to become a part of our success story, why not call us now on 0203 993 5653 and let us make this entire process as simple as it can possibly be for you? Not only that, why not let us worry about everything for you so we can guarantee your visa approval. We know you will not be disappointed.

Cost of the government fees

What are the Government Fees?

If you apply for a Partner visa UK by post, the government fee will cost you £811 (and there is no VAT as it is a government fee). You should be warned though that the processing time by post can be up to 6 months or longer! We therefore always recommend that our clients apply using the Premium Same Day Service which would cost you £1,311. As the name implies, you should get your decision back within a few hours on the day you attend the Premium passport. This is the best chance you have of not having to surrender your passport to the Home Office meaning you are stuck in the UK for up to 6 months! Please note that if there are any dependents applying with the main applicant, you will be charged £811 or £1,311 per dependent depending on which service you choose.Call us now on 0203 993 5653 for a competitive quote and we will guarantee either our fee or the government fee depending on which is higher. Rest assured that we only get visa approvals here at First Migration and we guarantee your visa approval as long as you do not need discretion. Please give us a call and discuss your case as we might be able to offer you a discounted rate!

NHS Surcharge

You may need to pay a healthcare surcharge (called the ‘immigration health surcharge’) as part of your immigration application. You can find more information about this by clicking on the following link:

Why not let us make this process as simple, easy and as stress-free as possible while we also guarantee your government fees (as long as you do not need discretion) so you have nothing to worry about

Why not call one of our UK visa experts today and let us explain all about our service and how we can ensure you are approved? We offer our clients different levels of service depending on their needs and these services range from an expert checking service to a full representation service. We know that once you have spoken to us, you will most probably place your faith in us like the thousand clients before you. We look forward to hearing from you.


Download our FREE Guide for tips to a successful application

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.