Need Help? Call us +44 (0) 203 178 2048
The UK’s Most Trusted British Citizenship Consultancy
With over 12 years’ experience and more than 4,000 UK naturalisation approvals secured, we have steadily built First Migration’s reputation as one of the most trusted immigration consultancies in the world. As you can see from our Trustpilot reviews, we have an industry-leading reputation for always securing British Citizenship approvals, while providing our clients with a five-star service.
Welcome to First Migration’s British Citizenship Information Centre.
We have dedicated the past decade to helping our clients secure their naturalisation approvals. Using the knowledge and experience we have obtained during this time, we have created a British Citizenship Information Centre to provide you with comprehensive information you need to get started.
We recommend that you bookmark this page, after reading through the information below, to easily find the information page again. Should you want our expert assistance or guidance at any time, call us to speak to one of our Naturalisation Experts and have you case assessed for free. Alternatively, request a call-back on this page, and have one of our experts call you instead.
Get a sense of the five-star service and results we have provided for many of our clients by checking out our reviews on Trustpilot.co.uk. Should you choose First Migration to act as your legal representative, rest assured we will provide a professional service that lives up to our online reputation, and is as simple and stress-free as possible for you.
Before your first consultation, take the time to read through the information below as we address the most frequently asked questions. We hope to be able to demonstrate our expertise in securing naturalisation approvals even before having a conversation with you. We look forward to helping you with the process of securing your British Citizenship approval.
What is Naturalisation, and how does it secure you British Citizenship?
Naturalisation is the name for the application process you need to follow to secure British Citizenship. All adult applicants for naturalisation must have been granted Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) if non-European or EEA Permanent Residence (PR)/Settled Status if a European national before they can apply for British Citizenship. Applicants married to a British national can apply for naturalisation immediately after securing their ILR Visa, EEA PR, or Settled Status is granted if they can satisfy the 3-Year eligibility rules stated below.
Applicants not married to a British national when applying for Naturalisation must wait for a minimum of 12-months on ILR, EEA PR or Settled Status before being able to apply for British Citizenship. You can find the full eligibility requirements for the 3-Year and 5-Year naturalisation rules below.
How to apply for British Citizenship via Naturalisation – 5-Year Rule – Not married to a British national
You may automatically qualify as a British citizen, depending on where and when you were born, your parents’ circumstances and your UK Ancestry but if you don’t, you will need to apply for British Citizenship via the naturalisation application process.
How do you apply for British citizenship via naturalisation? We can help you to make an application to the UKVI for British Citizenship and ensure that the process is as simple and as easy as it can be. The process we are using to make your application is fully digital, which means you can keep all your original documents during the process, including your passports and BRP card so you can still travel while waiting for your decision if necessary.
British Citizenship is the only application you can make to the Home Office where you can travel while the application is pending.
You can apply for British citizenship via a naturalisation application if:
- you’re 18 or over
- you’ll continue to live in the UK
- you’ve met the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KoLL) requirements
- you meet the residency requirement – which means that you have lived in the UK continuously for the past 5 years and have been on Indefinite Leave to Remain or have “settled status” (restriction-free) for at least the last 12 months. Please note that if you are currently married to a British national and have been living in the UK for the last 3 years continuously, you can apply immediately on being granted Indefinite Leave to Remain (without having to wait for 12 months!)
- you’re of good character, e.g. you don’t have a serious or recent criminal record
- are of sound mind
- You have not left the UK for more than 450 days in total in the last 5 years and have not left the UK for more than 90 days in total in the last 12 months before applying for British citizenship. If you are married to a British national, the time outside the UK rule is slightly different. You must not have left the UK for more than 270 days during the last 3 years (residency period) and must not have left the UK for more than 90 days in total in the 12 months before applying for citizenship.
As we have only secured British Citizenship approvals since we started First Migration in 2007, we believe in demonstrating to you just how confident we are with a no-win, no-fee guarantee. We really are the best insurance policy you could have so what are you waiting for? Why not submit a Call Me Back request (on this page) or call us on 0203 178 2048 so we can discuss your case?
Eligibility requirements to qualify for Naturalisation – 3 Year Rules – Married to a British national
If you have lived in the UK for more than 3 years and you are married or in a civil partnership with British National, you can apply for British Citizenship immediately on being granted Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).
If this situation applies to you, you will also need to satisfy the following requirements to qualify:
- you must have lived in the UK continuously for at least 3 years before the Home Office receives your application
- you must have spent no more than 270 days in total outside the UK in the last 3 years before the date they receive your application**
- you must have spent no more than 90 days in total outside the UK in the last 12 months before applying – having said this; we can still assist our clients in securing British Citizenship if they have been outside the UK for 100 days or less in the last 12 months**
- You must not have broken any immigration laws while in the UK
- you’ve met the knowledge of English and life in the UK requirements
**Please note that UKVI offers discretion on the time outside the UK requirement so please contact us for more information. We have years of experience in dealing with both straight forward and very complicated naturalisation applications. We are exceptionally proud of our near-perfect record of approval since 2007 in assisting over 3,000+ clients in securing their British Citizenship approvals.
Naturalisation if you are an EEA national or Swiss National
If you are a member of the European Economic Area (EEA) or are a Swiss national and have lived in the UK for more than the last 5 or 6 years and have been granted EEA Permanent Residence or Settled status. Unless you are married to British national you will need to show you held your PR or settled status for over 12 months before applying for British Citizenship.
In order to qualify, you will need to satisfy the following requirements:
- You must have applied for and secured an EEA Permanent Residence visa or settled status from the UK Home Office.
- you must be a member of the European Economic Area and Swiss National
- you must have lived in the UK for at least the 5 or 6 years before the date of your application
- you must have spent no more than 450 days in total outside the UK during the last 5 years before the date you apply**
- you must have spent no more than 90 days in total outside the UK in the last 12 months before applying – having said this, we can still assist our clients in securing British Citizenship if they have been outside the UK for 100 days or less**
- you must have had permanent residence or settled status in the UK for no less than the last 12 months
- you must have not broken any immigration laws while in the UK
- you’ve met the knowledge of English and life in the UK requirements
**Please note that UKVI offers discretion on the time outside the UK requirement so please contact us for more information. We have years of experience in dealing with both straight forward and very complicated naturalisation applications. We are exceptionally proud of our near-perfect record of approval since 2007 in assisting over 4,000+ clients in securing their British Citizenship approvals.
The British Citizenship Application Process
The application process when applying for British Citizenship is fully digital, which means all you need to do is provide us with your documents and we will fully complete your application and get it ready for submission.
At present, the current processing times our clients are facing is between 3-6 months from the date of application. As you can keep your original documents during the application process, you can still travel outside the UK and live your life as normal while we are waiting to receive your approval!
You will be required to have your biometrics information taken as part of the application. We will book your biometric appointment after we submit your online application.
What happens once your application is approved?
Once we receive your British Citizenship application back approved, you will be required to book an appointment with the local Council for a Citizenship Ceremony. You are usually allowed to take 2 guests with you, and you must take the invitation letter with you when you go to your ceremony. The ceremony will usually take place close to where you live, and you will have to make an oath of allegiance (or you can make an affirmation if you prefer not to swear by God). This means you’ll promise to respect the rights, freedoms and laws of the UK. You’ll be presented with your certificate of British citizenship which is the exact moment you are officially British (as your passport is solely a travel document) and a welcome pack.
On the same day, you attend the ceremony and become British, you will be able to go straight to the nearest Post Office or use the online service with your naturalisation certificate and make an application for your first UK passport.
We offer our clients different levels of service depending on their needs and these services range from an expert checking service to a full representation service. We know that once you have spoken to us, you will most probably place your faith in us like the thousand clients before you. We look forward to hearing from you.
Why not call one of our UK visa experts today on 0203 178 2048 and let us explain all about our service and how we can ensure you are approved?
Our full representation service is the easiest way of securing your citizenship approval as we do everything for you. Should you want to prepare your own application, why not consider our cost-effective checking/advice services to ensure your application is approved the first time, hassle-free – call us now on 0203 178 2048.
How much will it cost to apply for British Citizenship
The total costs for all government fee charges for naturalisation are as follows:
- The Home Office Spouse Visa Government fee* = £1,330 per adult applicant for a Standard Service processing time application (which takes between 3 – 6 months to secure the approval from the date of the biometric appointment). Please note that there is no Priority Service available when applying for British Citizenship
- The Biometric Fee = £19.20 per applicant. Even though you may need to pay for a biometric appointment if you want one within the next 3-4 weeks, the Home Office still charge £19.20 per applicant to process their biometric data.
- The Biometric appointment fee = this fee ranges from a free appointment (if you wait 3 weeks+) up to £260 per applicant for an appointment at the Premium Service Centre in Central London. For your information, the most typical fee paid for an average appointment across the UK is about £100 per applicant.
- The government fees stated above total £1,349.20 per adult applicant for the Standard Service (plus the biometric appointment fees which have not been included as the prices vary).
Our British Citizenship services are tailored to your needs, so you can choose the price you want to pay, for the service you require.
For access to our knowledge & experience, we offer consultation services. If you want to be cost-effective and secure your naturalisation approval by yourself, consider our Expert Checking Services. For an extra fee, we’ll even provide our Expert Document List & bespoke templates to save you time.
If you want a guaranteed approval though, you are looking for our Full Representation Services. With this service, you are allocated your own dedicated British Citizenship Expert to manage the entire process, with a no-win, no-fee guarantee. Whichever service you choose with First Migration, expect a professional and stress-free service.
General British Citizenship & Naturalisation FAQs
Over the past 12 years, our Naturalisation Experts have perfected the way we present and submit our British Citizenship applications to ensure we always secure our clients their naturalisation approvals while providing a five-star service. During this time, we have been fortunate enough to experience almost every possible situation when it comes to eligibility or supporting document issues, and we know every reason given for refusing an application for British Citizenship. Armed with this expert level of knowledge and experience, we can ensure you secure your naturalisation approval, the first time you apply.
So, you can either spend months researching how to secure your own approval or follow our simple instructions and allow us to secure the approval for you? Should you choose our full representation service, you will receive our no-win, no-fee guarantee (subject to our Terms and Conditions), and benefit from our expert legal cover letter that will argue your naturalisation case through to approval. We have only been as successful as we are in securing British citizenship approvals due to the power of our legal cover letter. Perfected over the past 12 years and 4,000+ UK naturalisation approvals, our legal cover letter explains your case to the Home Office while linking your supporting documents to the specific rules that apply to your case. That way, we can ensure that even a poorly trained or new Home Office caseworker will not make mistakes when deciding upon your case.
Should you not want our British Citizenship Experts to represent your application fully, why not allow us to be your insurance policy by taking advantage of our consultation services or Expert Citizenship Checking Service? We offer a Telephone/In-Person Consultation if you simply want us to answer any questions or doubts you may have about your application. As you are paying for our time and access to our expert knowledge, we will tell you the answers to any questions you have and teach you everything you need to know to secure your naturalisation approval. Likewise, once you have fully prepared your cover letter, your applications form(s), and gathered all the documents needed, you can purchase our Expert Checking Service to ensure you have not made mistakes that could jeopardise a successful application. While we can only guarantee your citizenship approval if we are representing your case, rest assured your dedicated Naturalisation Expert will advise you of all the changes needed to your application. Considering our full-service clients secure their British citizenship approvals first-time, you can expect your naturalisation application to be approved if our advice is followed to the letter.
Why not call one of our British Citizenship Experts today (or request a call-back on this page), so we can provide you with a quote for the different services we offer, and let us give you the confidence you need to choose First Migration to ensure you finally secure your British citizenship.
Knowledge is power, but experience counts for everything when it comes to ensuring a naturalisation application is approved every time, without exception. As you can appreciate, our Citizenship Experts are testing the naturalisation system daily. This enables us to ensure our clients are always ahead of any changes to the British citizenship rules, naturalisation policy guidance, or the latest excuses given for refusing a British citizenship application. This level of practical experience ensures that we can manage the process for our clients, make all the right decisions when applying, reduce the risk of mistakes being made, and give our clients the peace of mind they expect. As soon as a new excuse is given for refusing a naturalisation case, our detailed document list, document templates, and legal cover letter are updated to ensure this new excuse cannot be used to refuse our clients’ naturalisation applications.
Should the application process change while you are applying, our advice and service will immediately adapt to the new circumstances, so you will not be impacted in any way. Only by preparing and securing naturalisation approvals daily could you ever apply for British citizenship in total confidence that it will be approved first-time. So why not become a part of First Migration’s success story and take advantage of our experience and expert knowledge? All you have do is sign up for our service, pay our professional fee, follow our advice, and let your dedicated British Citizenship Expert do everything else for you!
There are three easy ways you can contact us to take advantage of our free British citizenship eligibility assessment and speak with a Naturalisation Expert with over 12 years’ practical experience. Rest assured that you will only ever speak directly with a citizenship expert here at First Migration should you contact us through one of the following means:
- You can call us on 0203 178 2048 – and you will be able to speak directly to a Naturalisation Expert with 12 years’ experience in securing nothing but British citizenship approvals. Your dedicated expert will check your eligibility for free and explain about our services and the process of securing your British citizenship. Should you want to visit us before signing up for services, we will offer you a free 30-minute in-person consultation with one of our Naturalisation Experts at our central London office. We know that once you have spoken or met with us; you will place your faith in us to ensure the most important application you will ever make in the UK is approved the first time.
- You can use the live chat feature if you are viewing our site via a desktop computer or tablet device – you can find the live chat feature at the bottom right-hand side of your screen. This is an excellent way to have an instant chat with a Naturalisation Expert that has secured thousands of British citizenship approvals to date. Should all our Naturalisation Experts be away from the office when you try to use this service, just submit a call-back request or message, and an Expert will call you ASAP.
- You can submit a Call-Back Request, and we will call you back as soon as possible. You can do this at the top of the screen, and one of our Naturalisation Experts will call you to carry out the free assessment over the phone.
We look forward to hearing from you and working with you to ensure that your application for British citizenship is approved the first time, without exception.
We also offer you a no-win, no-fee guarantee to show you how confident we are in securing naturalisation approvals
Should you sign up for our full-representation service, we offer a no-win, no-fee guarantee (in line with our Terms and Conditions) to demonstrate just how confident we are in securing your British citizenship. All you need to take advantage of this guarantee is provide us with the supporting documents we ask for, in the format requested, and follow our advice to the letter when we are applying on your behalf.
We also reassure all our clients that should they sign up for our full-service and satisfy all the eligibility requirements, they are signing up for us to work with them until we secure the naturalisation approval. As a result, our service will only be over once we have delivered your approval as promised.
Any applicants applying for British citizenship between the ages of 18 and 65 years old are required to take an exam called the Life in the UK test and satisfy an English language requirement. The Life in the UK test is not a complicated test, but we sincerely recommend that you learn from the official study guide; otherwise, it may be difficult to pass the test. Most British nationals that we know that have attempted the Life in the UK test have failed because they have not read the study guide! The test itself is has been introduced to see how much you know about British history, culture and politics.
There are four ways to satisfy the British Level B1 Speaking and Listening English language requirement:
- you are a national of a majority English speaking country – Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, and the USA.
- You have a degree that was taught in English (to a high enough level) awarded outside the UK, and the degree is comparable to a UK degree;
- You have a degree awarded by a UK University; or
- You have passed an approved English test (Trinity College London (TCL) Level B1 test or the IELTS Life Skills Level B1 test).
To satisfy the English language requirement via an English test, you must pass the English test to Level B1 in speaking and listening (about 5 out of 10 in difficulty).
For more information about how you or any dependants applying with you can satisfy the English language or Life in the UK test requirements, call one of our British Citizenship Experts on 0203 178 2048 (or request a Call-Back above).
General British Citizenship & Naturalisation FAQs
Since March 2019, the entire application process is now fully digital, and there are no specific application forms needed. When the application is initially set up online, the correct category of UK Visa or citizenship must be selected to ensure that you are applying for the correct visa. Before the application process evolved to a fully digital process, the application forms needed to apply for ILR were as follows:
- Form AN – This was the form used by adult applicants aged 18 years old or over to apply for naturalisation.
- Form MN1 – This was the form used for child applicants under the age of 18 years old.
We are pleased to confirm that these forms are technically not appropriate anymore, and should you take advantage of our services, we can ensure that you apply correctly online so that the application is approved first-time.
Do you have to pay the NHS Surcharge/Immigration Health Surcharge when applying for British Citizenship?
As you will already have full access to financial (benefits) and NHS healthcare support paid for by the British government now that you have secured your ILR Visa, EEA Permanent Residence, or European Settled Status you are not required to pay the NHS Surcharge when applying for British citizenship (aka Naturalisation).
For your information, you may find that the NHS Surcharge is sometimes stated as the Immigration Health Surcharge (or IHS), so do not be confused, as they are just different ways of saying the same thing.
Since it is not a simple process for the UK government to remove your British citizenship once granted to you, the UKVI will never be rushed into making a decision. As a result, there has never been a Priority Service available to applicants applying for British citizenship.
The only service available is the UKVI’s Standard Service which means it could take up to 6-months for you to receive a decision. Based on our vast experience, the typical processing time for a successful British citizenship application is about 3-months.
If you have tried applying yourself without expert assistance and find yourself in the unfortunate situation of receiving your British citizenship application back refused, we would recommend the following:
- Call one of our British Citizenship Experts immediately, and they can thoroughly assess your situation and confirm the best options available to you to turn this situation around ASAP.
- As there is no appeal process or administrative review allowed, you will have lost the government fees you have paid and will be required to re-apply once you have corrected the issues used to justify refusing your previous application.
- Re-apply ASAP (once you qualify for citizenship) by submitting a perfectly presented and argued application to ensure your British citizenship application is successful.
If you have recently received your citizenship application back refused, we would recommend you call one of our British Citizenship Experts to see how they can assist you, or submit a call-back request on this page, and they will call you instead.